As we approach the holidays, many of us are bombarded with holiday parties and indulgent foods that can pack on the pounds and leave us feeling less than our best. So, how can we enjoy the occasional treat and still stay on track?
Try being more mindful when you’re eating. Dr. Judson Brewer shares these 7 tips to eating mindfully:
1. Bring the food to the table.
2. Get rid of all distractions.
3. Take 3 deep, attentive breaths.
4. Ask yourself how hungry you are on a scale of 0 to 10.
5. Observe the food – the texture, the color, the aroma.
6. Take one bite, making mental notes about the taste and smell.
7. Enjoy your meal and consciously put the fork down between bites.
Taking time with your food will also improve digestion and give your mind the time to process feelings of satiety.